Barcelona is among Europe’s cities of style, somewhat in the same league as Milan or Paris. It attracts the fashion-conscious around the world and there design outlets can be overwhelming for even the most determined consumer. Everything from jewels to books, local and international haute couture, designer furniture, and even cool condoms is on offer.
Several shops animate squares around the center of the city. You can find most of the mainstream shops on a “shopping axis” that resembles the hands of a clock set at 4:45. From the waterfront, the shopping area leads up La Rambla through Placa de Catalunya and on up Passeig de Gracia. You turn left at Avinguda Diagonal.
From here, the Diagonal is jammed with shops that can drain your bank account if you do not control your splurging. The T1 Tombbus service is heaven sent for ardent shoppers. Eventually a transportation in the form of tram may also run the length of the Avinguda Diagonal.
Passeig de Gracia as well as the streets to its southwest are the best shopping hubs in central Barcelona. Head to the Bulevard Rosa arcade north of Carrer d’Arago and to Barri Gotic streets like Carrer de la Boqueria, Carrer de la Portaferrissa, Carrer de la Llibreteria, Carrer de Ferran, and Carrer del Call. Placa de Sant Josep Oriol is also a nice shopping place.
Winter sales in the city officially begin on or around January 10. Summer sales start on or around July 5. The big shopping complexes and department stores are usually open Monday to Saturday, from 9am or 10am through to 9pm or 10pm at night. Smaller shops close for around 2 hours at lunchtime (from 2pm to 4pm).
Here are some shops in the city:
- Antonio Miró (Address: Consell de Cent 349, Barcelona / Phone: 93-487-06-70)
- Comité (Address: Notariat 8, Barcelona/ Phone: 93-317-68-83)
- Custo-Barcelona (Address: Calle Ferran 36, Barcelona / Phone: 93-342-66-98)
- Jean-Pierre Bua (Address: Diagonal 469, Barcelona/ Phone: 93-439-71-00)
- Muxart (Address: Rambla de Catalunya 47, Barcelona / Phone: 93-467-74-23)
- Sala Parés (Address: Petritxol 5, Barcelona / Phone: 93-318-70-20)
- Laie (Address: Pau Claris 85, Barcelona / Phone: 93-318-17-39)
- BCN Books (Address: Riera d’Horta 32, Barcelona / Phone: 93-476-33-43)
- Hibernian Books (Address: Carrer Montseny, Barcelona / Phone: 93-217-46-96)
- Buffet y Ambigú (Address: Parada 435, Barcelona / Phone: 93-243-01-78)
- Casa del Llibro (Address: Passeig de Gràcia 62, Barcelona / Phone: 93-272-34-80)
Wines & Liquors
- Vila Viniteca (Address: Agullers 7-9, Barcelona / Phone: 90-232-77-77)
- Lavinia (Address: Diagonal 605, Barcelona / Phone: 93-363-44-45)